History

A TRADITION OF EXCELLENCE
  • Over 80 Years of Excellence

    At Great Neck Community School, we are proud to have a history spanning over 80 years. Our locations may have changed, but our dedication to the intellectual, social, emotional and physical growth of children has remained constant. Our high standards of excellent are created by teachers who enrich, nurture, care and create lasting memories. Many teachers have spent decades with us, helping to carry forward our special traditions and culture of learning through play.

  • Timeline

  • 1932
  • A group of mothers brought their pre-school children to play in the well-equipped yard of a Great Neck resident and formed a cooperative school.

  • 1933
  • The School was held at 42 Arrandale Avenue, consisting of a director, two head teachers, one assistant and 30 children.

  • 1935
  • GNCS moved to the house of a parent.

  • 1936
  • Scholarship program began.

  • 1937
  • Mrs. Roswell Eldridge, an influential member of the community and a board member of the Health League, arranged for the school to move to 614 Middle Neck Road.

  • 1943
  • GNCS moved to 179 Middle neck Road for additional space.

  • 1944
  • Board ruled that Director be employed on a full-time basis.

  • 1945
  • School operated five mornings and three afternoons.

  • 1948
  • School moved to the current location at 225 Schenck Avenue.

  • 1959
  • Renovation of interior completed. Enrollment reaches 100 children.

  • 1980
  • Playground was updated and named Hy Sotnick Memorial Playground.

  • 1995
  • A new logo was adopted. Special theme weeks were introduced. Book Fair began.

  • 1995
  • A new logo was adopted. Special theme weeks were introduced. Book Fair began.

  • 1997
  • Fall Festival and Health Fair were introduced.

  • 1999
  • The “Boat” was added to the playground.

  • 2000
  • Parent Social and Yearbook were introduced.

  • 2002
  • Library was renovated. Enrichment program and Extended Day program were added.

  • 2004
  • Music/Movement room was renovated.

  • 2006
  • New equipment for the lower playground donated by the Farkas family. “Twos’ Clues”, the program for two year olds, was created.

  • 2007
  • Celebrated GNCS 75th anniversary. Wall of Commemorative Tiles created.

  • 2008
  • Cultural Enrichment Fund was created to bring more diverse experience into the school.

  • 2012
  • Celebrated GNCS 80th anniversary.

  • 2013
  • Director Barbara Breslow retires after a total of 18 years at GNCS.

  • 2014
  • Library receives a facelift for the grand opening of our Learning Loft. Celebrated the 40th anniversary of Mayfair, our beloved spring tradition.

  • 2015
  • GNCS welcomes new Director, Lori Shaw and new Business Administrator, Melissa Zinzi. The School launches a Facebook page and new website.

Your Questions, Answered

Call and speak with our staff, or request that a current parent contact you.

516.482.5005
Contact Us
Recent Posts